Ohmygoshi

Monday's weather was a glorious 61, and somewhat sunny depending on what side of the district you were on. Sure, it looked sunny and gorgeous blue sky in Georgetown, but 3 miles up the road in Friendship Heights, The Clouds of Doom lurked. It was as if Mother Nature was giving us a sneak peak of what Spring would be like.

Photo by: kkairies
The mix of dark clouds and brilliant sun made for a gorgeous sunset over the Nation's Capitol last night, and my twitter feed came to life with mentions of brilliant oranges and reds filling the sky. Colorful sunsets are one of the things I miss the most about Florida. It may be hot as hell, but I'll be damned if they don't get some amazing color at dusk. And if you're on the coast? Forget All You Can Eat Crab night, you're too mesmerized to do anything other than stare at the bright pinks, purples, oranges, and reds that highlight the horizon. It's like God let the baby Cherubs go to town with the Crayola crayons in the sky.

When I first read that the weather would be all the way in the 60s, I was slightly disappointed. I'm the girl that moved away from Florida to avoid warm Januarys, what the heck is DC doing by warming up so much?! But then I realized I could leave without my coat, and you might as well have told me Chick-Fil-A was opening up next door, because diggity, my mood instantly skyrocketed.

Just like I wait for Christmas with baited breathe, come middle of January, I'm counting down the days 'til spring. Those delicious temperatures where it's not too cold, but not too hot. You'll want to take a sweater with you, but you don't have to worry about burning up the second you even think about putting it on. Mmm mmm good. But I digress...

I have some obvious trust issues, and I was too nervous to wear the summer skirt, in fear that the Weather Man was indeed lying to me. Instead, I pulled out the khaki capris (I don't care if you dislike them. They are love.), grabbed a short sleeve shirt, and a light sweater.

Did you read that? A light sweater. In January. In D.C..

I stepped out into that warm sunshine, felt that cool breeze, and it was total bliss. Seriously, how does anyone live anywhere where it's NOT like this all the time? I kick myself everyday for not applying to UC San Diego. I was all smiles all day.

Alas, as all good things do, the day had to come to an end. As soon as the sun set, we were back to the miserable cold. Someone obviously reminded Mother Nature, that it was actually still January, and happiness is not allowed in these parts until at least March. So she rounded off the dropping temperatures with rain. And wind.

And all I had was a light sweater.

Curses.
2 Responses
  1. Uhhh, hello...it's not April 23rd, which is the celebrated day when "it's not too hot, not too cold...all you really need is a light sweater".

    p.s. that image ='s perfection with your new design (which is lovely, btw).


  2. Jamie Lovely Says:

    What a pretty photo. I have a bad habit of forgetting the temp drops at night and am usually caught with a hoodie or something. Not fun!


Post a Comment