Ohmygoshi
Ohhh Winter Blizzard of 2009 (Snowpocalypse, if you will), how you ROYALLY messed up my holiday travel plans is ridiculous, and you cut my vacation time at home by 4 days so far. Ohhh JetBlue, thanks for not doing a damn thing and making things worse. Let's go through this blow by blow to see just how much fun Ohmygoshi has been having:

8:00pm Friday night: Jet Blue has cancelled my 6:20pm flight for the next day because of snow.

8:20pm: Scramble to find a new flight. Manage to get the last seat on on the last available flight for Sunday at 9am.

8:21pm: Breathe sigh of relief.

8:22pm-9:00am the next morning: Drink wine, play games, and enjoy the falling snow

9:00am-6:00pm: Flitter about, watching it snow, worrying about just how exactly I'm going to get to the airport tomorrow....

6:45pm: Use Craigslist to enlist the services of someone with a truck to drive me to Dulles (not kidding here, I really did!)

6:50pm: Have minor freakout over the possibilities of being kidnapped on the way to Dulles, and sold into slavery.

7:30pm: Decide to brave the still falling snow (22 hours now) and go out for dinner and drinks.

9:30-11:30pm: Packing

12:01am-6:00am: try to get some sleep.

6:30am: Check my flight status: ON TIME!

6:31am: Realize I'm checking TOMORROW's flight status. Today's flight status: CANCELLED

6:32am: CURSE THE WORLD

6:33am: Try to rebook flight on JetBlue. Nothing is available for THREE DAYS

6:34am: Wonder out loud why the hell JetBlue wouldn't just delay the flight rather than cancel it. Maybe customer service can tell me more.

6:35-7:05am: On hold with JetBlue

7:05am: Get into an argument with the customer service lady about their poor management of the day. I do feel bad about this, it wasn't her fault. But seriously, they don't offer to book me on another airline's flight, and were not very apologetic about the whole thing. Her attitude was "well, that's too bad, that's all we got!" What about all those passengers actually at the airport? Are they stuck there for days too?? JetBlue is making no effort whatsoever to remedy this situation for all of us. Instead, they are scrambling and cancelling flights. It stopped snowing 12 hours ago, the airport is open, there are other flights taking off, why was the flight not just delayed?! I WANT A DETAILED EXPLANATION!

7:50am: Call my mom in tears. It looks like I won't be back until Wednesday.

7:51am: Start looking around for other flights on other airlines.

7:52am: SUCCESS! There's a flight going from Dulles to Midway to Tampa TONIGHT!! For cheap! I must be on that flight!

7:52:30am: Flight is full. I'm not on it. Curses.

7:54am: Find nonstop flight from Dulles to Tampa tomorrow afternoon.

7:54:15am: BOOK THE FLIGHT

7:55-8:23am: On hold with JetBlue to cancel my flight

8:35am-11:00am: SLEEP

So the nightmare seems to be coming to an end. I'm on a flight tomorrow, that should get out without being cancelled. It cost me an extra $80, and gets me in to Tampa, but it's direct and leaves Monday instead of Wednesday, so I guess it's worth it. Metro is still only running underground with a few bus lines running, but I think they're planning on being open for rush hour tomorrow morning, so I should be able to get to the airport without a problem.

Here's hoping.

4 Responses
  1. OY! Brutal. Did you make it home...?


  2. Ohmygoshi Says:

    nope! i'm still in dc, my next scheduled flight is for tomorrow just past noon!


  3. chickbug Says:

    i'm stressed out just reading this! safe travels.


  4. Mandy Says:

    I am glad that you made it home, I would have been so mad.


Post a Comment