Ohmygoshi
When we go to a bar or restaurant, we leave a tip to the waiter/waitress or bartender as a way of saying "thanks for the service!". How much we leave is generally dependent on how satisfied we feel. The better we were treated, the more we leave.

Is that how it works in our friendships and relationships as well? Do we only repay according to what we were given? Or do we willingly do things for the people we call friends, but do we expect grand gestures as methods of "thanks" in return? In general, when I do favors for friends, it's because I want to, not because I'm expecting something in return. I like to go out of my way to do things for others because I care about these people, and I want to make sure they know it. I try my hardest to be friendly when I first meet someone, but my personality can be so loud and outgoing at times, that I usually hold back until I feel comfortable around new people. This often comes across as harsh and unfriendly, I've been told on more than one occasion. But once I've forged a friendship, I hold on to it for dear life. I'll listen to their problems day after day, and always avail myself to them. I really don't expect much in return, except maybe honesty.

Is there a barometer to measure the proper way to say "thank you" to someone for a simple favor? What are your thoughts? How do you let your friends know you're thankful for the favors they do for you? Do you expect people to do certain things to show they are grateful to you? I'm genuinely curious about your thoughts!

2 Responses
  1. chickbug Says:

    I never underestimate the power of a thank you. It is so simple and also so appreciated. I say thank you to everyone. The person who holds the door, the friend who calls to check-in, the family member who sends a gift. And, I really don't keep track of who says thanks to me. If someone doesn't, I usually think they have too much going on. I try not to take it personally. But I do think, in general, everyone could say thank you more often.


  2. Mandy Says:

    I love doing things for my friends and I do them without expecting anything in return. Sending notes is one of my favorite ways to let friends know I appreciate them. Like chickbug, I also believe in the power of saying thank you.


Post a Comment