Ohmygoshi
DC's Metro system is pretty stellar in comparison to some other places. However, that does not stop them from absolutely sucking on certain days. Here are my peeves for WMATA:

  1. It irks me to no end when I've been waiting for 30 minutes for a stupid bus, and then THREE show up at the same time. I understand that sometimes traffic causes delays, therefore buses catching up to one another, but there is NO EXCUSE when you're only a couple miles out from the start of the line. None.
  2. When the sprite fifty something wearing yoga pants, a tank top, and a baseball hat gets on the bus, don't give me a dirty look for not getting up for you to sit down. You can obviously handle 90 minutes of sun salutations, a few more minutes standing isn't going to hurt. Consider it another glute exercise. You're butt will thank me later. In fact, I'm only willing to give my seat up to you if you meet the follow preques: a). You're pregnant or have small children with you. b). You are disabled and have a cane or walker. and c). You're old enough to get the Senior Discount at the movie theater without showing I.D.
  3. That being said, when a person with a cane gets on the bus, and you sit there with your headphones in looking like you hate the world while the person next to you gets up to give this disabled person your seat, you do not look good. In fact, you look like a jackass. Way to go.
  4. Mean bus drivers. You do not make the ride pleasant. Don't yell at the poor kid who obviously can't comprehend what a broken SmarTrip reader means. Or get annoyed with the out of towners who aren't really sure where to go. You make me want to pull the Stop Request cord for every stop just to annoy you.
  5. When I'm standing at the bus stop (after waiting HOURS! it seems like) and then the bus just flies right by me. So unacceptable, I want to scream. And the bus driver looks at me like "Hey girl!" No no no...NO. Before I even begin to entertain the idea of smiling at you, you need to back the bus up and come pick me up. Because just driving past me like that? Does not make me all warm and bubbly inside.
So those are my peeves with the WMATA's bus system. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? What are your peeves?
3 Responses
  1. Mandy Says:

    It doesnt sound very pleasant. I was in DC for an entire summer and avoided the bus. I just used the metro.


  2. LindzML Says:

    The UF transit system was pretty awful, as well. Bus drivers will KICK YOU OFF THE BUS if you pull the cord for the wrong stop. No, really. They'll go "well, obviously this is WHERE you wanted to be...someone will be by for this route again in a few minutes." My biggest pet peeve was your first one...the buses that get all close to the other. It made me want to scream. Here's to hoping DC Transit gets a little better.

    xoxo


  3. There's so much I hate about WMATA, but I'm pretty guilty of being immensely annoyed with tourists. It's fine to ask questions, y'all, but if you hold up the bus' moving for more than two minutes, I'm feel OK about being pissed off. Read a map, ask a kind stranger instead of harassing the bus driver, and sit the eff down!


Post a Comment