Ohmygoshi
Words we had said
Grow in my head
Colored my thoughts
Sang me to bed

There have been certain people on my mind lately. The ones that I used to know, but now are strangers. It's weird how these people that we worked so hard to forget can easily pop back into our minds at the blink of an eye, or a flash of memory.
Lost memories
Grew into trees
Covered the doors
Swallowed the key

I've tried to reach out to them, let them know that I'm thinking of them and miss them, but so far there is very little to show for it. A friend request that lasted for weeks before eventually being turned down; messages unreturned. When we met, we had been thrown into brand new lives with only each other to cling to, we thought that friendship would last forever. How could it not?
Winters have come and gone you know
Winters have come and gone you know
But I'll meet you, young and free
For a dance 'round the memory tree

I've long since moved on to new friends and memories. I've lived new experiences, and traveled new places. I don't remember every word spoken, or every joke laughed. The secrets we shared with each other are no longer precious, and words have been whispered in the wrong direction. There's nothing to be done now, it doesn't make a difference to be mad or sad, because what's done is done. There is no "Undo" button.
Said I forgot
But I did not
Dreams we had
Play in my head

I've mentioned similar things before. And really, these things don't plague my thoughts often. But there are times, when a certain song plays, or a person passes by and I'm suddenly sideswiped by memories of friends that are no longer mine to claim anymore. It sucks, plain and simple. Friendships are so precious and fragile, it takes one misunderstanding to ruin it all. When a friendship, or any relationship for that matter, dissolves, rarely is it to be blamed entirely on one party, but not everyone sees it that way. In my opinion, it takes a lot of strength and courage to admit when you're part of the problem. I guess that's a quality that not everyone has. Or maybe they just haven't found it yet.
Did we believe
The cry of the leaves?
Did we regret?
Would we forget?

I've been considering hopping over to Wordpress so I can initiate the "password protect" posts, a feature that Blogger lacks. I know there are eyes peering in that I would rather not. It's a chance you take when you put words on the internet for all to see. But still, there are certain thoughts I'd like to block ceratain people from reading. It's not fair that they can cut me out of their lives entirely, while still reading up on mine. Is that passive agressive? I don't know. I've reached out, and got nothing in return. I feel like I'm beyond the point of trying. I've done my part in trying to mend the broken. But still, if and when the day comes that these certain people decide to reach back to me, I'll gladly take a dance around the memory tree.

Winter has come and gone you know
Winter has come and gone you know
But I'll meet you young and free
For a dance 'round the memory tree.

*"A Dance 'Round The Memory Tree" lyrics written and performed by Oren Lavie
3 Responses

  1. Ive been playing this song since it dropped 2 yrs ago. Didnt think to many people paid any attention to it. Its good to know someone out there is listening


  2. Ive been playing this song since it dropped 2 yrs ago. Didnt think to many people paid any attention to it. Its good to know someone out there is listening


Post a Comment