Ohmygoshi
What's your favorite song? What makes it your favorite? Is it the lyrics? The music arrangement? Maybe it just touches you at the right moment, and you fall in love. For me, that song is John Mayer's Slow Dancing In A Burning Room. From the very first second, the guitar sounds like it's crying and it sets the mood for the entire song. It's not a happy love song, but one that so many of us can relate to. That raw feeling of knowing it's ending, but wanting so desperately for it not to. I connected with this song right as my relationship was falling to pieces, and it fit so perfectly into every emotion I was feeling. One might think it's a masochistic tendency to keep going back to it, but something about it just draws me back in. I'm done with that part of my life. I've locked the door and thrown away the key. It was a wild and crazy relationship that was filled with so many emotions, but in the end, it wasn't working.

...

Tonight I was perusing the So You Think You Can Dance forums. I came across a discussion about the Katee/Joshua routine by Wade Robson set to Slow Dancing In A Burning Room. While I loved the routine, and the dancers, it left me wanting more. It's not that I didn't enjoy it when performed by Katua (Katee and Joshua's nickname, of course), but I felt like it lacked something. I then found out that Wade had actually choreographed a longer piece and filmed it with Pam Chu and Ben Susak:



I fell in love with it instantly. Everything about it is filled with so much emotion and intensity, it's almost impossible to take your eyes off the screen in fear that you might miss something. There's a raw, intense passion between the dancers and it's captivating. It's the small things, like how she pounds on his chest at 1:24, and he kicks her from behind at 1:33. The jumping from fighting to loving in a matter of seconds is so powerful. The pain they express is impossible to deny, and your heart breaks for them a million times over. I've watched it at least 10 times tonight already, and everytime I see something new that I hadn't seen the 9 other times before.

It's a dance of destruction, and it couldn't be more beautiful.
1 Response
  1. LindzML Says:

    It's a really interesting dance. For me, there's a moment when it stops being "dance" and turns into "choreography" (i.e. it's rolling around on the floor in a planned way). That being said? The majority of it is beautiful, I love Wade Robson's work and the song makes my heart melt every time I hear it.


Post a Comment