Ohmygoshi
Birthdays are kind of a big thing at my house. My mom wasn't the type to just buy us whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. She would listen carefully to our demands requests, and then buy them for us for either our birthday or Christmas. Our birthdays were always a day dedicated to us. I remember that the night before, my mom would braid my hair after my bath so that my hair would be all wavy the next day. The restaurant was decided by the birthday kid, and presents were waiting at home along with our choice of cake (mine was always Chocolate Cheesecake with a cookie crust mmmm). Unlike some families, presents were reserved for after dinner and before cake. I think it's all in my mom's desire to make things last as long as possible, "If you open them in the morning then you'll have nothing to look forward to for the rest of the day!" she would tell us.

In high school, I was notorious for having a countdown to my birthday. I would usually start in January, since it's the next big thing after Christmas. I had no shame in announcing that it was ONLY SIX MORE WEEKS til my BIRTHDAY! This year, I felt the pangs of adulthood, and didn't want to annoy anyone with such childish things. Birthdays are no longer supposed to be fun, but dreaded. Another candle on the cake, another year to your age. Last year's birthday was the ultimate one. The big, forever coveted, twenty first birthday. When the anxiety over fakes and lurking police officers finally dissolves, and you proudly hand over your ID with confidence and pride because, Yes, you are indeed allowed to be here.

Still, despite the fact that "all the exciting birthdays are over" I still got pretty excited at the thought of my birthday. Last night, I enjoyed a glass of wine at midnight and I was pretty stoked. I don't mind wishing myself a happy birthday, it's my day of celebration, just like your birthday is one for celebrating as well! Some may think it's tacky to blog about yourself on your birthday, but I don't care. In my opinion, it's important to know and acknowledge, there are 365 days of the year, it's ok to take one day and celebrate yourself. I plan on instilling that to my children. Birthdays are special, and they always will be.

Happy Birthday to me!I think it's safe to say I demolished that cupcake
5 Responses
  1. Happy Birthday! Enjoy your 20s before they pack up and leave ya!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39A2J-yo2Nc


    With love & laughter,
    -- The Old Ladies


  2. magdathunder Says:

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope this year is your very best yet, and I'll take this opportunity to say how delightful it's been getting to know you--both online and in life--since this time last year.

    Big birthday hugs!


  3. chickbug Says:

    Happy Birthday to you!!!


  4. Z Says:

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!


  5. Auburn Kat Says:

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    Sorry I'm so late but as they say, better late than never!!!


Post a Comment