Ohmygoshi
There are some lessons we learn early on that stay with us for life. Like, for example, my last post is a lesson that I totally learned when I was a kid: begging always works. Seriously, it was so awesome to see all you lurkers come out of the woodwork! I definitely made some new friends and added to my google reader! Don't be a stranger! Say hi more often.

And then there are other lessons that we learn over and over and never fully "get it". Like, thinking you can get a week's worth of homework accomplished in ONE NIGHT. HAHA. oops.

So yeah, I don't know whether to laugh or cry right now. Is anyone else scared for the future of this country? And I'm not necessarily talking about who's going to take over as Chief Executive come January. I'm talking more about the massive drops in the stock market. The Dow Jones closed almost 450 points down yesterday. Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, AIG, and let's not forget our favorite twins Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac...what the hell is going on? We're some of the richest people in the world, yet one by one, our banks are crashing down. It's not just us hurting, it's a ripple effect being felt across the globe. Foreign countries that were so heavily invested in these huge banks are now scrambling to come up with the capital. The best part is, we haven't even seen the worst of it. We're in the top of the 3rd inning, with another 6 innings to go, at the least. And sure, I don't have kids, a house, a car, or a huge mortage to worry about right now, but the future is looking pretty bleak. The job market is only going to be that much more competitive what with thousands suddenly out of work and willing to take a huge paycut.

This is living history. We could be on the cusp of a huge crisis here, and yet some people have the audacity to tell me not to worry about things. For real? Mister, I'm pretty sure that it was that kind of attitude that got you in huge trouble to begin with.

I know that my fears are slightly exaggerated, but they are still there. Who knows where we'll be in 5 years. Perhaps this will all be a distant memory and we'll be able to say "whew, that was close." I do have full confidence that we will be able to get through this, I just wonder what it's going to cost us in the end.

I'd love to get your opinions on this topic.
1 Response
  1. LindzML Says:

    This is part of why I feel perfectly fine about leaving to go to Africa. What kind of job am I going to get here? With a Liberal Arts and Sciences degree in English? Yeah, I'll take 'Kenya' for four hundred, Alex. At least I know that whenever I do come back? I'll have done something amazing and will have the ever-marketable "I spent ___ years in Africa" line.

    But while I'm gone? There will be much praying for the economy. As I am absolutely terrified for everyone else.


Post a Comment