Ohmygoshi
You know how when you get a new laptop or computer you just plug it in and open it up and you can use it that same moment? Yeah, I miss that.

This is, I hope, the last chapter in the neverending saga of my journey through hell with Dell. Hah, I rhymed.

So last night I spent an ungodly amount of time on the phone with Roxy in India trying to load operating systems and drivers to my brand new hard drive. I used my mom's laptop to look up a website that connected the computer to Roxy's and then let her take over. It was kinda cool/creepy to see the mouse moving and clicking all on its own.

I'm sure my mom's company would LOVE to hear that happened, oopes.

Did you ever watch that show Ghostwriter as a kid? The one with the group of kids that solved "crimes" and mysteries with the help of a "ghost" who would help them out by hacking computer files and spying on people and whatnot. To get answers they would just write a question, then the ghost would rearrange them (and sometimes bring in new ones) to form coherent full sentences. And there was even a hint at a blossoming romance between two of the youngsters...Alex (the cutest kid on the show) and Tina (the token asian, therefore my favorite character) it was cheesy. I think the whole point of the show was to get kids to use their reading and writing skills.

Now where was I going with this? Oh yes, well while Roxy from Dell was clicking away on my computer I lost the call (thanks T-Mobile. You're on my shitlist right underneath Dell). I panicked for maybe 5 seconds before I realized she could see what I could see on my computer. So I brought up notepad and typed her a little message saying "I lost the call, could you please call me back at ??" And the words "k thanks" magically appeared directly below. 5 seconds later my phone was ringing. It was creepy/really interesting all at the same time.

And it all reminded me of Ghostwriter.

After all the drivers had been downloaded on the good computer, I had to save them all on my flashdrive and then put them into the bad computer. Then upload them in a very specific order. I ended up rebooting my computer like 12 times last night because you have to do it after EVERY DRIVER. That was most of the work. Then I just had to put icons on my desktop, make sure the internet was connecting, and then start to download my tools for survival, like Mozilla and AIM, because really? what good is the internet without those two things? I also had to re-download my school's Anti-virus protection, but that didn't work, so I just did a temporary 90 day free trial with Windows just so I could have SOMETHING.

I've still yet to acquire Microsoft office, so I have no Word, Excel, or any of those fun things. I'm ready to rip my hair out strand by strand. But I do have a working laptop with internet and aim, for that I'm grateful. It's weird because it looks like my computer, but it works a little differently, so it almost feels like a new computer, then I remember all my lost files, and then I weep a little.

The moral of the story is...if you have to get another hard drive, make sure it comes fully loaded.

Or buy a Mac.
6 Responses
  1. chickbug Says:

    the notepad story is so crazy! love it.


  2. Dell laptops are great..... till they first crash..... it's all downhill from there :D I would love a mac... saving up for it :D

    p.s. Roxy in India is probably short for Ruxana :D Thats an india name :)


  3. LindzML Says:

    I will be buying a mac. End of discussion.


  4. Gooseberried Says:

    I LOVED Ghostwriter! Ghostwriter! Word!

    Haha! I miss that show.


  5. Stephanie Says:

    I remember Ghostwriter!


  6. i can SO relate. My dell laptop works fine but it takes 5 minutes to boot. it's only like 2 years old!


Post a Comment