Ohmygoshi
Things have been kinda quiet on the Ohmygoshi front, mainly because I've been doing a lot of thinking. I'm pretty sure I'm about to enter into a Quarter Life Crisis here (when I told my mom this, she said, "You only plan on living til you're 84?! I guess. No one really wants to be that old anyways...." Thanks, mom. So not the point.). Anyways...I'm getting to that point where it's considered acceptable to freak out about what is supposed to happen after college ends. I've decided that I

a). want to go back to Japan for at least a year or two.
b). want to go to graduate school.
c). want to get a steady job.

I'm just not sure in what order to do all these things. See my dilemma? My student loans are telling me that I should start with getting a job. But I'm afraid that I'll get tied down in a "temporary" job, and then never get around to going to school or back to Japan.

Lately, I've been on this real big "Japan" kick. I'm not even sure how it got started. I've been watching shows online, and listening to music nonstop. I'm even beginning to think in Japanese. Tonight's dinner was straight up from the Japanese cookbook, with rice cooked in the new rice cooker my mom got for me to take back to D.C. with me. I think I just really miss Japan, and I really regret not going to study abroad there. I know that there is this program called JET where recent graduates can go to Japan and teach English for an extended period of time, and they pay for your housing and a small stipend I believe? But small stipend does not a college loan payoff make. Another option would be to actually try and get a job in Japan, but I don't have a fluent speaking or reading level yet, and that's a problem.

I've been praying a lot for guidance on what to do after school, and I can't help but think that this sudden nonstop Japanese thing is a sign that maybe I'm supposed to head there? I don't know, I've always been bad at interpreting signs from God. I've also been continuously praying for a solution to the money issue (the winning numbers to the $16 million lotto would be nice...i keed i keed).

The perfect situation is to get a job here with offices in Japan and do a few years here while I go to graduate school and then go transfer to the Japanese offices.

But then again, when is anything ever perfect?
5 Responses
  1. Z Says:

    I can tell you what I did: straight to grad school.

    I can tell you what I wish I did, hindsight being 20/20 and all: take a year or two off to travel and explore.

    So, my advice? You got it. Go with your heart. Spend a year in Japan. You will have plenty of time when you get back to be sensible and pay off loans... But once you start with that, it is much harder to break away and do the less-sensible but perhaps more life-growth-experience option...


  2. Gooseberried Says:

    Push through it; you'll get there. I went through the same thing and I like where I am now. I had a little help from Bob Marley though, fyi. He's a good friend of mine.


  3. chickbug Says:

    you have one time here. one life to do what you want. doing the smart thing isn't always the best thing. following your gut, take a risk and don't look back.


  4. isha Says:

    Hi,
    What i did was immediately apply for a new loan & join a grad school.After two years of rigorous hard work,I got a job with a top MNC with a hefty pay package.
    In the end it was all worth it


  5. Ohmygoshi Says:

    hey all, just wanted to say thanks for all the great advice!! I'm really taking what each of you said into consideration! I really appreciate it! :)


Post a Comment