Ohmygoshi
Last night, while doing my regular facebook bit, I stumbled across a friend from high school's profile with an recently updated status that included the words "rest in peace". I immediately checked her wall and groups for clues to who that might be in reference to. I remembered hearing the name in previous conversations, but I couldn't put a face to it. She later changed her picture to one that included a relatively good looking guy that I remembered seeing in lots of her pictures. My heart broke for her right there. I knew that she had been very close to this person. Being the good little stalker that I am, I did a brief surf of the internet in an attempt to find out more. I eventually learned some more of the details, and was saddened to know that my friend was hurting so much because of the sudden and tragic loss of her friend.

I've been lucky enough to never have lost a friend like that. When I was in sixth grade, I remember an eighth grader being shot down and killed by her mom's boyfriend. In high school there were a few car accidents that claimed the lives of those around me. I've had friends who have lost parents, but it was never someone I was really really close to. I don't know how I would even begin to react.

It really puts things into perspective, you know? These people that are such a huge part of me and who I am, could be gone in such a short moment. Nobody wakes up thinking, "I bet I'm going to lose a friend today". There are so many things that we don't think about. People drift a part and go their separate ways. But no one expects that that person is going to be taken so suddenly. I realize that death is part of life, but when it's the death of someone so young with so much potential in life, it's just shocking. I don't know what the religious status is of my readers, but whoever it is you pray to, say a little prayer for all those who lost someone today.

I don't think I know how to properly express my grief for my friend, except to just let her know that I'm here.
Labels: , | edit post
1 Response
  1. drbolte Says:

    that's the best thing you can do.

    make sure she knows that you're there, and then let her grieve how she needs to grieve. just the knowledge that you're there will help, even when you say nothing at all.


Post a Comment